Sunday, August 17, 2008

An Evening on the Stand with President Eyring

This Sunday and the past Sunday President Eyring, son of President Henry Eyring in the First Presidency, just to make things clear, has been moderating a very interesting fireside. I say moderating because this is a highly involved group discussion firside. The title for this fireside is "The Church's position on the legal definition of marriage". Much went on about discussing not so much whether or not you agree with the Church, in their decision to step out politically on the happenings in California currently regarding same-sex marriag. It was more how to deal with it, and understanding where the saints level of understanding is in this important event.

Last Sunday we had a great discussion on realizing our strengths and weaknesses as saints in being able to convey the Church's stand, and understand it ourselves. I came to the conclusions that I know very well, but I do not know that I know it very well in my ability to explain the stand with a contender, but I believe I could say what needs to be said. I came to also understand that this is such a sticky position from a political stance, if same-sex marriage is legalized, the government steps on the churches, if it is not, they discriminate homosexual. Thus, a very hard issue to deal with. (In my life when it seems neither is a positive decision, I prefer the undecision, don't decided, just run away :D ). I could go into detail, but that isn't the point of the post.

This Sunday we met together again and broke into groups (about 200 people are at this fireside) and did role playing of different characters and their stance on the Church's strict 'Policy' of marriage. It was a great time, and this is a common teaching method of President Eyring (He is a stake President up here, just an fyi). Well I had a comment and I stood up and he recognized me (I took a class with him about a year ago and have kept in contact since) He asked me to come up on the stand and do some role playing, man I was surprised. I have role played with him before but not in an audience that large.

This is such a sweet moment for me. We role played a situation and I was certainly humbled by it and felt the spirit and it was a good spirit. We talked about it up on the stand for a while, just standing up there with him was a privilige in and of itself. Their is more, but I can not put it up on the blog, needless to say, I have come to realize when I am answering, and responding to people when it is by the Spirit. The key is, I know my ways, or that is to say, I know how I would have things done. When I respond otherwise, it simply is the Spirit.

So I found myself on the stand twice today. Firstly, I was part of a musical number and it was the first time I sang the tenor part, without anyone else singing tenor... It wasn't bad, but I was shaking. Later unexpectedly on the stand with President Eyring. I have not felt nervous in a long time, I felt it twice today, and it was good.

3 comments:

Ben McMurry said...

Indeed, that sounds pretty cool.

Sarah said...

That sounds awesome Matthew! What a cool experience!

Kyle Hampton said...

We have started a blog specifically to defend traditional marriage in California and to promote the passage of the constitutional amendment that will be on the ballot this November that retains marriage as between a man and a woman.

Please join us at http://calmarriagedefense.blogspot.com/